View Single Post
Old 20-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Master
I dunno, I never really cared for the big bellied Buddha rolling around on his mound of treasure... seemed very glutinous not so much an accurate depiction of what Buddha stood for. From my vantage point.

I think the emaciated Buddha struck me more. Representing his will and dedication to his spiritual journey to the point he starved himself believing that would bring him closer and perhaps it did. As it was his devastated physical state that led the young woman to give him food. Probably necessary as one of his lessons to enlightenment. Although he later determining it was a bad idea to have started himself for so long. But so few have that kind of commitment to their spiritual self. Like I am going to suffer, sacrifice and deprive myself the various simple pleasures that many take for granted. Who does that? I honestly can't think of any except for some Monks I had the pleasure of sitting with once.

Sorry, I do know a little about the History... Buddhism is one of the practices for which I have profound admiration.