View Single Post
Old 29-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Agree what's done is done but frankly? At your age you've shown remarkable insensitivity. You could have been a lot more diplomatic. Didn't you think your remark would hurt?

Well, you don't say how long you've been married but if a long time I fear you've broken something. You'll have to live with it until she heels of it - could happen - or death do you part.

No sympathy. You know where your duties lie.

I try to imagine how I'd feel in the situation as the wife. I would want the truth, even if it (temporarily) hurt. I'd take the truth from my partner over a patronizing lie to protect my ego or his guilt any day. Also, I would bet money that she asked the question because she already knew the answer. She wasn't so much looking for the truth to be said out loud by him, but rather she was looking for the follow-up conversation regarding their relationship (that appears to have not taken place?...).

But could it have been phrased better? Sure. i.e., "I miss dancing with you and dancing in general. I miss feeling young and alive and dancing helps me to feel that way. It doesn't mean I love you any less or am less attracted to you. I am still fully committed in my relationship to you. But doing this gives me happiness. And in order for us to share happiness together, we must do what sometimes makes us happy on an individual basis." Etc. You get the idea. Again, this is assuming a lot about their relationship already though, such as if they are still in love with one another and honestly want to be together.