View Single Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Does it have a name? Is it just called Taoism? Where is this practiced?

Is it really a religion?
Taoism comes in two forms. There is the philosophical non-dual form that was it's original form; emphasizing a well lived life that is defined by Wu Wei, action through nonaction.

After it's conception and adoption by some thinkers, it became interlaced with Chinese Folk Religion which shared the same geography, so it was very easy for them to meld. It also became closely associated with Confucianism as a complimentary philosophy.

Quote:
So where is Daoism practiced? It is similar to Buddhism and Hinduism in its objectives.

Daoism is a process of enlightenment is it not?

Taoism is practiced all over the world, but it began in China, around the 2nd century BC, if my memory is correct (might be wrong though).

No, it's not really similar to Buddhism and Hinduism, they can be thought of as part of the same group of Non-dual philosophies of the the Indian and Chinese sub-continents, but Hinduism has a belief in hundreds of deities, and it's emphasis is worship of the gods, while one is on a path to eliminate karma, so one may be relieved of earthly suffering.
Buddhism can be (simply) called a more personal religion, in that it places importance on personal liberation, rather than the worship of various gods*

Taoism (the philosophical kind that is separate from Chinese Folk religions) does not say whether there is a god or gods - nor does it note an afterlife, it simply focuses on living at one with nature.

But, there are some regional forms of Taoism that revere various "Immortals". But again, those seem to be more connected to TFR, rather than the original Taoism brought forth by Chuang Tzu and Lao Tzu.

I hope I've helped some.

*Some forms of Buddhism worship Bodhisattvas, and some honor various gods.