View Single Post
Old 31-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerscientist
The three major metaphysical aspects of quantum mechanics are:

1. Particle-wave duality.
2. The role of the act of observation in creating reality.
3. Nonlocality (spooky action at a distance).

Particle-wave duality and nonlocality, as metaphysical as they may seem, are aspects that have been observed experimentally and so would seem to be definitely a part of our physical reality.

But what about the quantum mechanical formalism that the act of observation actually creates reality? The central problem, of course, is who is the observer?

What do you think?

Interesting question. Numbers 1 and 3 come from creations and observations of many experiences.

The role of the act of observation in creating reality is also an observation, but as the question begs to ask.... Who IS the observer?

You ask what I think, but who is the you that is asking and who is the I that is responding?

Now, this becomes a very interesting experiment, and something I think in science is that first you have a thought experiment and then you experiment in physics to see empirical evidence to prove or disprove whatever....

This is something that reminds me of the words of the Buddha in the Dhammapada (the path of truth) "With our thoughts we create the world"

So. Einstein once said something to the effect that the results of an experiment are dependent on what the experimenters are searching for.

My current conclusion (whoever "I" AM) is that in the quote from the original post in this topic, hypothesis number 2 is probably very difficult to prove, but that does not mean to say I think it is impossible.

I also think Buddha was right in this and that hypothesis 2 is also correct - and we do create the world(s) with our thoughts.

Interesting thought experiment!