View Single Post
Old 14-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Once, people didn't have the luxury of being able to consider whether or not they liked or disliked exercise! They simply had to do it to get through life!

It is quite surprising to me that a neighbour of mine exclaims "Oh my goodness! Have you walked down here?" when they see me pass their house a quarter of a mile away, to go to the next house where I do some work.
If I have to quickly dash back because I have forgotten something -if that neighbour sees me, they say "Oh! Do you need a lift?" I thank them because it is very kind of them, but mention that by the time we have got in the car, done up the dratted seat belts, gone through all the car-starting stuff -I would already BE home and on my way back! They then gaze at me and say "That means you will have walked a mile to and fro!"
A MILE? Is that all?
It goes to show me that general exercise is looked on in a far different way than it used to be. It is now looked on as....an inconvenience....a penance....a way to get slim, or for some special 'fitness' regime.....a thing one does on sunny days at the weekend (and probably only if you're training for something, or have dogs)....or if your car has broken down.

Or have people become too impatient? It might take an hour to walk somewhere that in a car would take 5 minutes?

It seems people have become more detached from their natural state; a state in which we walk as a general part of life, just as much as we rest or eat and drink because we need to.