View Single Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:43 AM
gerrygirl

How to help bladder incontinence?

Im 46 have had two children, my first at 23, and second at 41. I tore with both my children severely which has left major damage and scar tissue. There is a history of Prolapse in my family even though my gyne told me that Im not a surgery option just yet, Im boarder line. I was given medical support through a physio, and use a tense machine regularly. However its made very little difference.

I was a ballet dancer for 16 years, and it’s a misconception that dancers/gymnastics have strong pelvic floors…. I was told by a Consultant Gyne in Uk that women who have stretched their pelvic floor muscles for years dancing/gymnastics have the weakest pelvic muscles, as elastic bands that have been overstretched for years DON’T get tighter they become weaker…. Which is my problem!

I stopped ballet dancing at 19. After my first child I took up an extreme get fit programme. Aerobics 5 days a week and dancing every weekend. I lost 6 stones in one year, and got my weight down to 8 stones, a 24 inch waist and had a six pack!!! So at 32 had the fittest and most tone body I ever had.

But after having my son at 41, more pelvic, vaginal tearing, and abdominal wall distension, Im almost complete bladder incontinent. So I cant, run, even walking causes bladder leakage…. Its upsetting and soul destroying. I cant do abdominal crunches, or lunges either as they weaken the already fragile/overstretched pelvic floor muscles, and when I joined a gym to do low impact muscle toning, my rotated hip problem from doing ballet caused sciatic nerve trapping so I ended up unable to walk….. its really upsetting….

Ive tried yoga to improve flexibility but the rotated hip problem means that I just end up aggravating my siatic nerve. For someone that loved dancing, movement a good body shape, my situation is very upsetting, I look and feel like an egg. So any advice would be gratefully received.