Thread: cigarettes
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Master
After smoking about 40 years, I found a fool-proof, simple way to give up. I developed acute angina and was told by a Cardiac surgeon that I needed a triple heart by-pass BUT he also said that he did not waste his time treating smokers. I saw my GP for a referral to a Smoking Cessation clinic who carried out a health check and referred me back to my GP for Nicotine Patches, and fixed up more appointments for the clinic. I started the patches and attended the clinic the following week where my Carbon Monoxide level was checked [breathing test]. In a single week of stopping smoking, my CO level had dropped to almost zero, the same as a non-smoker. Never smoked since, 15 years a non-smoker and a healthy heart !
So, that's the secret. The problem in giving up is Choice ! Take away the choice [the surgeon] and it takes away the indecision BUT it helps to enrol professional assistance, including the "no cheating" checks !

There is another "trick". Stop smoking but promise yourself that you will have a smoke "tomorrow". When tomorrow comes, don't smoke but make the same promise the following "tomorrow" and so it goes. You are now a non-smoker, promising to start again "tomorrow" and "tomorrow never comes. Yes, I know, it's a psychological trick.