View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
P.S. I just read an article on Shabd Yoga and it seems to utilize a mantra such as "OM" (or others). (That is an approach to which I gravitated quite naturally for other reasons and NOT as a technique to experience the sound Shabd. The "sound" just happened, and I now have some understanding regarding why it is happening and continues to happen. My sense is that the sound is not an end in itself but rather a means to proceeding to the next step.) After having written the above, I noticed that the article talks about "colors and light" at the ajna chakra just as I had experienced many years ago. (My teacher always said not to get obsessed with visions, colors and lights as they can become a distraction and eventually hold one back or develop a sense of pride and accomplishment, which obviously can create issues.) The subtle sound vibrations, however, have become far more compelling over the last few years.

Many spiritual writings emphasise repeating the Name of God through japa, so people repeat Ram or OM or whatever their preference is. I would suggest that the true repetition of the Name of God is meditation on Divine Sound. Some people talk about Shabd Yoga and give a mantra, saying that if you repeat the mantra then eventually you might hear the Sound. My own experience was that I was initiated into Light and Sound through shaktipat.

Guru Nanak was one teacher who taught the importance of the Name of God. One website gives the following:

Naam, Shabad, or Word, is the quintessence of Sikh spirituality and is mentioned 2546 times in the Sikh Holy Scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib, literally meaning the Name of Gods or God. But what exactly is Naam and why is it so important?

Naam is the great creative and controlling power of God. Naam has no beginning and no end. It is unchanging, ancient and eternal and it is the life current which pervades the entire creation.

Naam is characterised by sweet strains and melodious tunes and powerful light which can be seen and witnessed. This sound current is active in the whole of creation. This is one of the ways humans experience this phenomenon within themselves.

Our mind is always in a state of oscillation and all the time our mental faculties are always flowing outward into the world. Never for a moment have they known any rest. Until we internalise our focus and allow the mind to become purified and stilled, one cannot listen to the reverberations of the sound current.

Naam, the primal sound current is in fact only one continuous vibration. However as it steps down through 5 different planes of existence, with their varying degrees of density, the frequency of Naam changes and this creates the ‘Panj Shabad’, the five distinct melodies, which are contained within the mantra Sat Naam.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the first Sikh Master, enumerates the many advantages that accrue from the hearing and acceptance of Naam by saying:

“By communion with Naam, one can attain the status of a super human being with spiritual powers, a god and a yoga master. By communion with Naam, the earthly regions, the heavens and the nether regions stand revealed. By communion with Naam one becomes immortal. Says Nanak, God’s devotees live in perpetual ecstasy for the Naam washes away all sin and sorrow.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
If I may ask, what has been your direct experience, as opposed to repeating the Shabd Yoga theory? When something resonates, my approach is to validate though, in this particular case, the validation is coming after the fact since I've had the experience and am only now learning about the theory. My teacher NEVER developed expectations of results as that can easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy (as the expression goes). If one concentrates on seeing colors and light, my sense is that one will eventually conjure up a visionary experience of colors and light as the mind can play some insidious tricks on one who meditates and give one a false sense of progress.

As I said, I was initiated into Light and Sound through shaktipat nearly 40 years ago. I was also taught the meditation techniques. This has been my main practice ever since.

My direct experience was that I heard Sound and saw Light. At my initiation it was very strong. Doing it on my own afterwards it was much fainter. I struggled with meditation throughout the first year, but I persisted. Then it became much stronger, and the Sound would fill my head and sometimes descend into the body. The Light would become brilliant and the dark centre you mentioned earlier would become very clearly defined. In longer meditates it becomes very powerful.

Obviously this is a practice which suits me - perhaps it may not resonate with others.

Peace.