View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM
janielee

I will say a few words about practice. Generally speaking there is much to learn about Tibetan Buddhism. Sakya Pandita said, to become completely qualified one should completely study the different wheels of the dharma. After study there is contemplation and after that meditation. Contemplation is done for the sake of meditation and its end result is meditation. After studying it's good to have writing skills to benefit others. Teaching, and debate are also useful.

The purpose of all these is meditation practice. All the great masters you will see are completely qualified by study. After that came meditation and realization. I finished my academic study in 1990. I taught for a while but thought I should do more meditation so I could experience what I taught. I needed wisdom from meditation practice. There is nothing wrong with education and teaching but it is limited. The essence of the teachings is within the practice. You can understand a certain level though study but practice of meditation allows you to understand the heart.

- Lama Gursam
The Importance of Practice