View Single Post
Old 20-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
You have to look at history and culture to get answers to those questions. Christianity was created during a time when civilisation was pretty well developed (Ancient Rome, Greek philosophy). It built upon these pillars. Think about neoplatonism, Greek idea of hell, saviours.

But we know what Christianity in power brought to us: no rational enquiry, no philosophy allowed, no other religions allowed, taboo on physiology, faith healing. Christianity has always, and still does, attack everyone. But when it gets ''attacked'' back, it cries out loud. Why is there so much ''attack'' on Christianity? Because most people who are on the internet, are from western countries. Most people that even have the time to discuss religion, are usually from the west as well. The western countries have to deal with Christianity much more. And don't worry about Islam, it is heavily criticized, if not more, here in Europe.

I used to be into the Christian religion quite heavily.. I read the Bible, tithed and prayed daily. Then I noticed several things, the greed, the hatered and fear of everything not related to their religion. My spiritual path then shifted over time to the metaphysical.

I read the Bible now and then, but mostly the new testament. I look at the Bible as a metaphor with a deeper spiritual message. I also think that other religions with their common threads have these deeper meanings as well.

However, if I look at the new testament and the teachings of Jesus, I am stunned how people come to some of the conclusions that they come to. The words and story of Christ do not push or teach any organized religion. It does not teach intolerance or political agends. It teaches love, forgiveness and the kingdom of heaven being within us. Jesus himself said that the day would come when the true followers of God would not worship in any temple or sacred mountain.. but they would worship in spirit and in truth. And also, when you look at the new testament, Jesus never condemned anyone except for the self important religious leaders of the time with their many rules and holier than thou attitude. These religious leader seem to be much like many of our organized religions and their leaders today.

I say all of this to get to this point; even if someone were to take all of this literally, how can they reach some of the conclusions that they have come to? I think organized christianity and those christians that attack everyone and everything have the message very screwed up. I do not even think that they are following true christianity. How could Jesus be the "son of God" and bring so much hate, fear and intolerance to the world..... That just doesn't make any sense at all.

I believe that it is like psychoslice said on another post, that this form of dogmatic christianity must change.... or it will cease to be.