View Single Post
Old 22-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Poppies

Hi Silver Swan!
You're welcome to join in this thread!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver swan
.....There was a terrible atmosphere in the house and I too was constanly studying my parents mood. Like yourself I still do it now unconsiously. I pick up constantly on other peoples moods and find their mood has a direct impact on my own. I am interested in the debate as to whether identifying other peoples moods is as a result of years of studying others, and is therefore a learned behaviour, or whether the stress opens up a sixth sense on the subject.
I must admit that I always assumed that it was a sort of learned behaviour... constantly watching and attempting to divert any sense of a 'bad mood'....

Having said that... my twin sister and I did develop a sort of sixth sense... the door to our house was some distance from the kitchen, but when we came in from college we could feel the mood from the kitchen which is where Mum and Dad always were at that time of day... we could see neither of them... and couldn't hear any conversation, but as we walked into the house we would look at each other and go if there was a bad atmosphere or breathe a sigh of relief if it was a good one - it never occurred to us to question this 'ability' until we were older.... I know it's easy to say, but we had absolutely no physical indication of what the mood was with Mum and Dad... but we were both able to 'feel' it somehow.... I don't know, they say that animals can 'feel' atmospheres don't they....
Quote:
I agree with Ancestral that when you meet someone who has been through similar experiences to yourself , you just instinctively "know" . What does anyone think ? I do however believe that people can have a highly tuned sixth sense without ever having gone though extreme stress or child abuse.
I honestly don't know what I think about "sixth sense" - I'm open-minded, but I've not really thought about it that much... but I don't think that it has to be only as a result of extreme stress or child abuse....

I will say that I'm not aware of 'knowing' when someone else has been through similar experiences to me though.... Would body language come into it at all... confident people will look someone in the eye.... whereas someone with a poor self-image might avoid eye-contact..........

My husband knows when I'm getting down because, however hard I try to be 'normal'... I don't look him in the eye apparently.....

Do more sensitive people pick up on the signals that others give out?

I'm not pooh-poohing the idea of sixth sense and 'knowing'.... I'd just assumed a more sort of 'practical' interpretation I guess....