View Single Post
Old 17-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Experiencer

Thanks folks, appreciate your kindness very much.

Baille, do you think too that much of our personal angst comes because we have expectations of our world, the people in it, the way society 'should go' that results in such disappointment that we sometimes get floored by it?

I think so and learning to let go of those expectations, along with the other things you mentioned (taking account of how I think, behave, etc.,) has helped a bit too. Mind you, turn on the news any evening of the week and you're bound to say ***! over some new nastiness that this group or that group has come up with or inflicted on someone and there you go again, expectations blown one more time. Oh well, life will go on until it doesn't and in the meantime, not to get too wound up by it all and be the best you (or I) can envision for ourselves!

A parable that I read somewhere (and maybe you'll recognize it) is always an encouragement to me:

A Buddhist man, living in a small village, tended his garden, was kind and generous to all. One day a young girls family came and accused him of involvement with their daughter and that she'd become pregnant as a result. They demanded that he look after this child that would result from his interference with the girl, and despite not being the child's father, he agreed for the sake of peace.

Time went by, the baby grew and the Buddhist man raised him and taught him and gave him the love and security he needed to feel safe. In the meantime, the girl grew up, became a young woman and still loved the young man who now had prospects and who was the baby's real father. Now that they were older they wanted to wed and wanted to have their child back and so they went to the old Buddhist man and demanded that he return the child.

Without argument, he hugged the little child, whispered in his ear that he loved him and returned the child to his real parents. For the sake of love and peace in those instances, he chose to do what was needed.

When I'm feeling frazzled and want to crash and burn in anger or despair, I try to remember that Buddhist man and let 'him' guide me in my responses.

This has been a delightful conversation and I sincerely hope that wherever you are, peace and love will be with you.