Thread: I can do it!
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2010, 06:51 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
A vegetarian diet much healthier and more fun, thats what I found anyhow.

I wish that were true for all I attempted to switch some years back. Not for health reasons, but purely for love of the animals. I even had a bumper sticker on my car that read "I love animals... I don't eat them!" Unfortunately, my cholosterol count, which had been in the healthy normal range before hand, shot sky high after three years of a strict vegan diet!! I could not understand how this could be and queried my doctor about it. I was eating NO ANIMAL fat in ANY form!! How, I asked him, could my levels jump to such an alarmingly high number??! His response was that everyone needs a small amount of cholesterol, and also that some people's body's manufacture it. He said in those rare cases, if the person eliminates it completely from their diet, what happens is the body goes nuts and produces it in vastly larger amounts than are needed! I said, "So what's the solution then?" His response? "You have to go back to eating moderate amounts of meat and animal fat." I did not want to hear that, and let me tell you, it was HARD to go back! I gagged the first several times I had to injest animal flesh, literally repulsed! Eventually I acclimated, and the follow up blood test revealed my cholesterol levels had begun to drop. After another two years of eating a (so-called) "normal" and balanced diet, the levels were back where they belonged. The long and the short of it is, vegan (or even vegetarian) diets are not healthy for all