View Single Post
Old 14-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Master
Take for instance Nietzsche's "will to power." Towards the end of his life, before he went crazy Nietzsche publicly praised and lauded two men who had murdered a person/ or people living in a nearby city from him, basically for pushing the envelope or what have you. In my crim. Psych class I've heard a version of the "right and wrong is all relative depending on a person's perspective.." argument made from at least one infamous serial killer. Don't take it the wrong way, Hitler said some great sounding things too in his day; just because something an awful person once said may sound agreeable to us doesn't imo mean we are bad people by association.

It is a compelling argument in many ways, to be sure. I've read Clockwork Orange, I get it. However to my mind, in practice it begins to break down when it involves deliberate infringement upon another with the intention of doing them some wrong or harm. Despite the reasons; jealousy, anger, amusement, profit, etc. etc. because imo a person in their right mind feels and has no need or compulsion to do so.

Of course in life everyone commits some form of trespass upon others all the time; some literal, some on various energetic levels, from the intimidation of the bully to the sarcastic condescension of the passive aggressive. Nature of the human drama, as actors on the stage it would be arrogant and presumptuous to think we know with certainly the role we play, let alone that of others. It would also take out the fun and mystery of it all.

Nietzsche was known to have once said that in the whole of history he only considered Plato to be his rival or equal in thought, (whether Nietzche himself belongs in such company is open for debate) which fits considering he authored a book called 'The Antichrist,' and Socrates (who is forever bound to Plato, some theorize he was Plato) died a very Christ like death by execution at the behest of the powers that be at the time. He also chose this death willingly as did Jesus, whether you believe J.C. was a real historical figure or a mythological one or both.

Carl Jung has a quote; "Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other." Call it right and wrong if you want, I think it expresses the human dynamic well.

And the similar sentiment of Jimi Hendrix's the power-of-love not the love-of-power.

To be human is to be fallible, we're all intertwined together with our imperfections, and maybe learning to appreciate all the charming or repulsive personal predispositions of each others' imperfections is a good way to go. Seems to work for me (when I manage not to be hyper-critical of myself and/or others, which I tend to do sometimes unfortunately.)

If you steal my car stereo, it doesn't mean I wish to forever label you a bad person or a criminal. Maybe you're crying for help, doing it for a rush or to feed your kids so there is always context. In more extreme cases (ie: violent crime) though it does mean I think you should be locked up for considerations of public safety.

In literature 'Crime and Punishment' tackles the question in an interesting manner. Besides the obvious storyline, there is also a character in the book who has a desperate need for acceptance from the main character's sister and is in love with her. His neediness and conduct could easily be seen as a 'wrong', regardless (because of?) his constant efforts to be or appear good and nice in order to be like or accepted, and she despises him. Hating yourself is one of the greatest wrongs, imo. If you live your life in order to somehow fit in or validate your own existence in your own mind, then to me that could be construed as a wrong as well.

To be honest, part of the reason I'm even posting this is not entirely without selfish reasons; there is a mischievous little guy in the mix there somewhere who wants to make a big splash and ripple to offend everyone's delicate sensibilities when they read this. Is that wrong? Yes, I suppose it is in the sense that I'm being insensitive. I acknowledge and confess this. In no way do I wish to paint a brush upon anyone; (seriously) it is merely, a perhaps, overly blunt expression of how I currently see the question. I however justify my bluntness b/c I feel I want to make sure the point gets across. So I think I'll leave it right here, with such a confession.

I could have worded it in a gentler manner, but I've invested enough time on this monstrosity of a post already so weighing that into the equation, and also sprinkling in the fact that this is something I feel strongly about, by the time you read this I have therefore already made the conscious decision to post this nevertheless.

I bid you all adieu. ~