View Single Post
Old 14-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Master
Yes I believe there is right and wrong, and universal law.

Of course panties will be bunching from the get-go when people start throwing out judgy words like 'right' and 'wrong'.

The author Philip K D___ (censor always picks up his last name) once said; 'Reality is that which, when we cease to believe it, doesn't go away.' Which essentially sums it up for me.

People take issue because no one likes to be told anything. And also because the quote unquote right way is also often not always the easy way.

Quite frankly, the typical intellectualizing about the relativity of this question to me is somewhat lazy and cowardly. Yes, people can justify pretty much anything if it suits their purpose or preference, but somewhere in me I know those times when I sold someone short or sold myself out. Because it will bother me, and I will think about it. Even if I've done all I can it will bother me, but if I'm short in there somewhere it just won't quite sit right.

Not saying everyone is like this, in fact there is ample proof that indeed this is not the case but that's another story. I think if we starve our ego of it's sense of entitlement and notions of self glory too long he will not be happy and is going to let us know about it, but therein lies the struggle.

Compassion, helping a brother or sister out, teamwork, good sportsmanship and high fives; (can't help being somewhat facetious) these are the good things in life. There is a reason the iching talks of the superior man, why all cultures have both their heavens and an underworld. Why Arjuna felt compelled to join the battle against his enemies, many of whom his family. The advocate and the adversary.

Greed. Good luck trying to take that from people because it is so ingrained in much of human culture. Karma is not punitive; humans are, out of necessity. Divine law is not so prejudiced, it only results according to it's design. We can take it personal if we wish. We go astray imo when we fail to recognize our true nature, beyond selfishness and desire.

Some of the most egregious wrongs in history are made by those who would proclaim what is right and wrong for others. I say follow your conscience (assuming you have one) and that is essentially the difference betwixt right and wrong, morally speaking. What that consists of specifically is something that imo everyone comes to an understanding of on their own terms. What is right or wrong for another I cannot say, but when it effects people around us in a harmful manner then imo it is upon us to do what we can to address the situation.