View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

When I heard the title 'I Am That' ... it was such a perfect description of sudden realisation, I thought I should read some of it. There is a passage in the book that says:

M:
There are no steps to self-realisation. There is nothing gradual about it. It happens suddenlyand is irreversible. You rotate into a new dimension, seen from which the previous ones are mere abstractions. Just like on sunrise you see things as they are, so on self-realisation you see everything as it is. The world of illusions is left behind.
Q:
In the state of realisation do things change? They become colourful and full of meaning?
M:
The experience is quite right, but it is not the experience of reality (sadanubhav), but of harmony (satvanubhav) of the universe.
Q:
Nevertheless, there is progress.
M:
There can be progress only in the preparation (sadhana). realisation is sudden. The fruit ripens slowly, but falls suddenly and without return

Further on it says

Q:
Why should the unknown interest me? Of what use is the unknown?
M:
Of no use whatsoever. But it is worthwhile to know what keeps you within the narrow confines of the known. It is the full and correct knowledge of the known that takes you to the unknown. You cannot think of it in terms of uses and advantages; to be quite detached, beyond the reach of all self-concern, all selfish consideration, is an inescapable condition of liberation.

(Please do a wordsearch of the PDF for the broader context)

Thank you for that. I have saved it.

It is easy for one who doesn't believe in God or a Divine Being/Existence to come to the notion/awareness that they are God themselves because an 'external God' does not even exist apart from what they are, existing as the 'Self'.

I've had the experience of a limitless, transcendent being of perfect love, perfect light, perfect existence, perfect presence and omnipresence, that I came to the awareness and understanding that who "I" was, that is, this Soul/Spirit or what was in my heart...what was felt in the presence of this overwhelming entity consisting of pure, conscious awareness, was only just a tiny part...a minute fraction of what that was in totality. It seemed that 'Soul' and 'God' were made of the 'same stuff'...but the 'Soul' wasn't God...sort of like how the Earth isn't the whole universe...a distinction still remained and it was a very beautiful and glorious distinction, because through it I could feel all this...I could experience it...and even become immersed within it, yet "I" did not 'become' it...I cannot explain it beyond saying that what exists as 'That' still exists as 'That' apart from what I either 'am' or 'am not' and I wouldn't have it any other way.