View Single Post
Old 30-06-2019, 02:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundJohnstone
Hi and cheers for your reply.
I realised that if I don't counter their mean attitude, and hold the negative emotions inside me, it just makes me feel worse over time as the negativity and frustration builds up. The mean person gets away with it, not caring (some might feel good that they harmed) and I tend to frustrate and harm myself mentally because of holding in the frustration and negativity as I feel bullied mentally(emotionally)

At my working place, there is a guy who is in a higher job position than me, he is assigned as my mentor but he always tells me "Oh that's incorrect" or "You're wrong" , every time and he says this while he is laughing at me and others are around me. He seems critic towards me every time, there is no encouragement out there, despite him being my mentor. Don't get me wrong. I love doing mistakes, I love learning, but his attitude is a bit obnoxious(from my perspective), in the way that I perceive it as bullying and I dislike it

His duty is to teach and mentor me, instead he gives me tasks and then he just criticizes me.I feel frustrated because of that. Maybe I am too sensitive but I can feel him being mean and trying to show superiority
Kaere is correct in that mentors are supposed to be impartial.

If I had one who was always telling me that I was "doing things incorrectly" or I am "wrong"...I will simply say " I most humbly and regretfully apologize, but this is the way I was taught to do it...so whoever taught me must have done so incorrectly, can you please demonstrate the correct way to do it, according to you, so that I may learn from you?"

You keep on asking this until you FULLY understand... basically, getting him to do your job FOR you.

It also depends on how long you have been with the company...those who have been there longer than you have more 'rights' and especially if they like licking their bosses shoes and pandering to the collective egos of their superiors.

This is basically why I am "unemployable" and if I want to earn money, I need to go into business for myself - which a lot of people are doing now...so that the ONLY one I have to answer to is ME.

Being employed would have to be the most stressful life experience I could ever imagine...I would never be able to be in your situation without handing in my resignation...so good on you for deciding to stick with it.