View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XalosJuryin
I used to refer to Higher Self as a separate entity that watched over me in its mysterious ways. Recently, however, I have been praying to the Higher Self but addressing it as if it were me. It is actually a very invigorating way of praying. I wouldn't describe my experience as self-disappearing, but it was almoooost like that. In a way, every time that I meditate, I feel like I am gaining distance from my self (as in who I think I am, egotistically). However, I haven't had any strong self-dissociating experience yet.

Yes, the world offers an intense proposition of selfhood. It made me much more fearful than I am today, and it felt very real too. Gradually that illusion and grip has weakened over the years. Once I had a 'disappearing' experience or a transcendent experience while walking down the street.

I literally entered another dimension. It was probably what they call in Zen Buddhism a Kensho or awakening of some sort but it definitely had the feeling of being suddenly taken from one perspective to another, i think that is what i meant by disappearing. A mini kind of awakening. So it is said that awakening can grow very gradually or it can be cataclysmic or it can be both.

I also remember when i started meditating and after a period of time, months in my case, I felt one day that something was watching me, like as you described a higher self. A sense of being watched. I discussed it with a senior Buddhist in the Sangha I was involved with at the time and he seemed to recognise what I was talking about straight away. That feeling didn't stay with me for long, I probably grew through it. Maybe a type of oneness developed where the 'I' the Watcher saw the watcher as myself. So thanks for sharing as I can identify from my experience with that journey to some extent. Lastly it seems that this sense of wholeness or non duality is a key question for myself anyway, the question, who is watching ? That sense of you are watching with God, you are one with creation or the creator, you are the witness. Thanks once again.

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Last edited by Joe Mc : 21-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.