View Single Post
Old 17-01-2014, 09:32 PM
livingkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
I resent the statement that someone with a mental disorder lacks empathy. I suffer from clinical depression and P.T.S.D, and I'm an empath. I have a very strong connection with others where it concerns emotion.

Clinical depression is a mood disorder & PTSD is an anxiety disorder ...
They go hand in hand after a traumatic experience ...
People w/anti social disorders (psychopaths/sociopaths) lack empathy ...
Personality/mental disorders such as schizophrenia, Autism/Aspergers, Bipolar disorder can also cause a lack empathy ...
Some people never resolve their anger or resentment or burn out issues; it can create anti social disorder & a lack of empathy ...
One of the greatest skills people w/anti social disorders have is the ability to detect the emotions of others to take advantage of them ...

When a person has been victimized their instincts become distorted - they continue to be on high alert/survival mode, highly sensitive to general remarks, strike quickly & many times misterpret/misjudge words or actions as well as imagine a perceived threat due to fear ...
It takes years of work to once again trust one's self & to be feel safe in the world self again ...
All the best w/your therapy ...
Been there, done that - it brought peace & solace in surrendering/releasing/resolving the pain I carried for decades ...