View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Sometimes I check asanas online to find inspiration for starting new asanas. What I have observed is that many sites online present asanas on a difficulty scale. An asana is for 'beginners' or it is 'advanced'. This misses the purpose of an asana. The way I learned yoga is to stay in an asana for an prolonged period of time, to achieve meditation and discipline the mind. Once an asana becomes difficult you take deeper breaths and focus deeper inwards..

This means that any ''beginner pose'' can be as advanced as you make it. Asanas like trikonasana (triangle) and vriksasana (tree) are touted as beginners poses, however if you could stay in them for ten minutes and achieve meditation than you are not a beginner..

So if you are new to yoga, or you are a bit daunted at ''advanced'' asanas and skipping them because they are ''advanced'', don't be. You could do an 'advanced' pose for ten seconds or you could do a 'beginners' pose for ten minutes, but in the latter you may have achieved more..

It is often said that the most difficult pose to master is Shavasana - the corpse pose.