View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Experiencer

[quote=mac]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn

Spiritualism seems to consist mainly of talking to dead people one knew when they were alive with little else behind or beyond it. I can see that - from the perspective of someone who knows little about Spiritualism....
How could one make a religion out of this? As opposed to what other religions are made out of you mean - stories, make-believe and unsupported beliefs in many cases....

Spiritualism is an extremely limited aspect of our existence, not sufficient to guide us. That's right when you have no knowledge of what is taught, what evidence is available...One would be a fool to accept guidance under such circumstances. Never get that in mainstream religion...

When these dead people were alive we probably did our utmost not to take their advice or listen to them, 'I am me!', and now that they are dead one wants to do what we avoided all along? laugh out loud at what you don't have a clue about. You gave me a good chuckle alright!

Now, Mac. . .

Yes, that last one's a great point! Didn't even Jesus say, "if they didn't listen to the prophets, why would they listen to one who rose from the dead"? If we ignored Mom for 78 years while she was incarnate, why will we pay attention to her if she speaks from the grave?

I say that Spiritualism is (or could be or should be) a religion.

Then again I say that Spiritualism could (or should) enhance your beliefs in another religion: or might cause you to rethink them.

I'm new to Spiritualism and have MUCH, MUCH to learn about it: but so far, it's been my impression that all Spiritualist revelations are NOT saying that the next world is identical: any more than Near Death Experiencers, or conventional religious teachers (whether Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, or whatever: whether across religions, or within the same religion) are all teaching the same things about the next world.

Jim