View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 01:25 AM
Master
First, you need to understand the difference between 'personal strengths' and 'personal virtues' and also the difference between those characteristics you admire within yourself and those others admire about you....I have spent the past 5 years trying to learn emotional responses so that I can interact with others, without it being seen/perceived as being superficially forced/false or 'put on'...as it basically all is anyway.

Thing is, there are things you admire about your own character, others may hate; like being confident or assured of yourself, which others will then see as being 'cocky' or 'arrogant'...having a deep conviction in your personal belief system, which others will then call 'pride' or 'intolerance' or having a 'closed mind'....being persistent or determined about something and others will say you are being 'pig-headed' or 'stubborn'....so, in the building of character, one cannot win, it seems.

I guess the best thing to do is to be honest with yourself and find out that, which in your life, could do with some improvement, but don't judge yourself based on it and don't see it as a 'shortfall' or a 'weakness of character' that you can 'make stronger' or 'do better', as you place yourself in a rather demeaning position to start with.

Just say "yeah, I like this part of my character, but you know what will make it even better...?

As unfortunate as it is, 99% of people base their whole characters on the feedback they get from others, but some of us (whistles) have a brain malfunction which prevents that from happening, and so we get to know who/what we really are inside, without any help/input from others....and then forever have to deal with "you are not listening to me, are you?" and I go "no, you are wrong, my dear...I AM listening, I'm just choosing not to apply it"...and you watch while they get angry and tell you to sod off. lol