View Single Post
Old 23-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
Do you mind me splitting hairs?

I can no longer say for certain that the sense of I AM is some eternal I Am.
If I look at the examples you show. I would explain these as follows.

The fact that there are now wrinkles when you look at your reflection in the mirror. Is seeing your reflection and thinking about a previous reflection where these wrinkles weren't there. However the consciousness having the experience of seeing a wrinkled man in the mirror is totally different than the consciousness that at some point in the past saw a face in the mirror without wrinkles.

Same goes for the consciousness that now takes a week to do what needs doing. It remembers a consciousness that did it faster. However the remembering is happening right here right now to a consciousness that in no way resembles the consciousness that used to do stuff all night..

Now I know this is stretching the concepts a bit, but in essence it is what I think is happening. Back in the day I would construct some form of ego or I am using memories. I am still doing the same with more memories superimposing a sense of continuity which may or may not be there..

I must confess that in a state of deep meditation(some vipassana style as tought by Ajahn Tong)i did experience glimpses of reality stopping and starting up again.As if they were static scenes that had no correlation from one moment to the next.
This could very well have been wishful thinking or be explained as some fabrication as I was expecting something like that to happen from other peoples explanations and stories. Also it is not something I can easily reproduce as an experience..
Going on another retreat this april so maybe then?
Mahasi Sayadaw also talks about this phenomenon in some of his books on vipassana meditation.

With Love
Eelco
Tolle said that the past is memory and the future is expectation so that would fit but there's still the perception of even simple things like taking one step at a time. There's still the perception of starting and ending it. It's been said that our reality passes in front of us like a series of frames in a movie, only it's happening at so many frames a second it appears to be seamless motion. That might explain your static scenes. I had a spell where I was experiencing weirs rime dilations and other strangeness. I remember walking along and having this sensation, then wondering which reality I;d suddenly been beamed into. My body felt like a spacesuit I was using to navigate that reality and for a few minutes I wasn't a part of it. Had they carried on any longer I'd have gone totally gaga, it was having such an effect.

Many years ago I honestly thought I was going insane because there were two of me inside here. There still is but I'm used to it now and how it shifts from one to the other. I don't know which I am I am, if I am both or neither or it depends on which one is needed in the moment.