View Single Post
Old 19-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Anyone done it? I heard about it from Leo on actualized.org and I've heard that you can make a lot of progress in a relatively short period of time, so I want to give it a go (for anyone who isn't familiar with the concept, it's basically sitting for long periods of time, staying as still and relaxed as possible). I've been meditating for about four years now but rarely for more than thirty minutes at a time, so I'm building up to it - I'm currently doing one-hour sitting three times a day, and even that is proving quite challenging atm. I'm eager to increase the length of the sittings but at the same time I don't want to burn myself out, does anyone have any general outlines for how much and how quickly to increase the duration of the sittings? Anyone care to share their experiences and outline the benefits and pitfalls of doing SDS?

Hardcore determination. Wanting to stand up is a craving of the mind that can be overcome by going deeper into meditation.

In deep meditation there won't be an urge to stand. Meditate until you get the urge to stand, then begin to chant or ask yourself "go deeper". Keep doing that until the urge to stand goes away, then you'll be able to recognize you are in a deep state of meditation by the lack of bodily desires.

In other words, don't try to keep doing a low level and ineffective meditation for longer periods of time. Go deeper into meditation as you increase the length of time spent in meditation. That is the point after all, not to take it slow.