View Single Post
Old 29-06-2011, 03:16 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Initially, I looked to wicca but was really put off by all the "smoke and mirrors" of rituals and the in-fighting over who was more witchy than who [and yes I am pointing the finger at the US there] I was fortunate to be in a forum with a bunch of "old witches" and one suggested "Cunning Folk" to me. Never heard of that, so I looked and, to my delight, it was what I had been practicing for decades. This derives from European shamanic practices, pre-christian, and is sometime called Hedge Witchery. It is a rural craft concerned with Earth affairs - flora, fauna, weather patterns, - very, very "Green" in outlook. Wicca might look towards the Lord and Lady, personally I look to Mother Earth. Incidently, this is the original Craft that Gardner incorporated into wicca.
So, get it right - it's not witchcraft, it's Witch Craft or, even better, drop "witch" altogether - that's a christian word. Originally it was the Cunning or Wise Folk who practiced the Craft of the Wise.
Well, you did ask

[ " No sparks shoot from my fingers (yet!!) " - do they not ? well, well

Thank you for illuminating that topic! I suspect that is what I'm drawn to also, and it expains why I never felt the urge to join a coven