View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
It goes further though for me, the word self is used often with ego. But even self does not quite cut it exactly for me. You see the word I from English translated into Latin becomes the word Ego.

Therefore when spiritual discussions of Ego, and Ego death and how to rid oneself of Ego come up I realize authors whom would advocate such- or wherever the notion that one has to eradicate their Ego has come from is to me, unhealthy as a view of one's own identity.
I had a discussion with someone about the self/ego and all they were doing is redefining the word and comparing themselves against it. 'Ego' was for lower Life forms, 'self' for Spiritually aware people and 'Self' for the Spiritually advanced. Spirituality has a penchant for redefinition and 'ego' has been redefined - by the way it's often used in the forums - as the root of all evil. It's not Spiritual at all but very Victorian, as in "the demon ego made me do it." Technically what they're talking about is the Shadow Self or the dark side that everyone has but Spiritual people prefer to lock out because..... It's not 'Spiritual'. That's where arrogance and pride comes from, they are usually caused by aspects of our Shadow Self and with a little work they can be transmuted. So-called 'ego death' is simply where aspects of ourselves we don't like - usually what is judged not worthy against the highest of Spiritual standards - is consigned to the Shadow Self where it grows sharper teeth in the darkness. You can't actually eradicate your ego, unless you're a very highly advanced Spiritual master that's dedicated your Live to doing just that. The effects of that don't bear thinking about quite frankly, because I'd imagine the consciousness becoming unstuck in reality causing, the said master would go ga-ga. Ego death is the daddy of all ego traps and illusion in Spirituality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Honesty simply hurts too much.
Everybody has an agenda, and 'agenda' is not necessarily a swear word. Look behind the mask.