View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrose92
Hey Lilith,

Thank you for your view on this, I do see how my mind could be making this worse for me. I mostly feel that with higher levels of awareness, I don't feel like I want to eat any meat that has been treated badly etc and I think this is why I felt so sick straight away. But I have been eating small amounts of meat when I feel I need it, and I mostly eat fish as opposed to other meats. You are right though, if we love something, we shouldn't let our mind get in the way of that. So I feel it will be best to buy meat that I know is from a caring origin to start with and that may make it easier to digest, but I will take heed with what you say and pay attention to the role of my mind in this situation, thank you very much!

And do you think it matters that aside from 'meat' growing up in a nice setting, how horrified and frightened it was when it died? Remember, transport and slaughterhouses are terrifying experiences for all those animals. There is not one that is not, it is what it is. Not only that, there is a growing acceptance that fish have relationships, feelings and so it wouldn't be foolish to assume that the process of suffocating to death isn't equally frightening for the fish.

A PubMed page I came across said the following after a pilot randomized controlled study:

'Findings: Thirty-nine omnivores were randomly assigned to a control group consuming meat, fish, and poultry daily (OMN); a group consuming fish 3-4 times weekly but avoiding meat and poultry (FISH), or a vegetarian group avoiding meat, fish, and poultry (VEG). At baseline and after two weeks, participants completed a food frequency questionnaire, the Profile of Mood States questionnaire and the Depression Anxiety and Stress Scales. After the diet intervention, VEG participants reduced their EPA, DHA, and AA intakes, while FISH participants increased their EPA and DHA intakes. Mood scores were unchanged for OMN or FISH participants, but several mood scores for VEG participants improved significantly after two weeks.
CONCLUSIONS:
Restricting meat, fish, and poultry improved some domains of short-term mood state in modern omnivores. To our knowledge, this is the first trial to examine the impact of restricting meat, fish, and poultry on mood state in omnivores.' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22333737

Aside from this study group seeing a correlation of improved mood by giving up meat as a result of a particular kind of 'acid' that meat/fish contains, I have a theory that goes like this:

When an animal is terrified, it's body is flooded with the fight/flight hormones and that permeates every fibre of its being. When people eat meat, they actually ingest those same hormones and you know what they say, 'we are what we eat'.