View Single Post
Old 29-01-2020, 03:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Meister Eckhart illustrates the height of western non-dualism. This is why he is largely impossible to understand with our usual dualistic mind. When Eckhart says, “I pray God to rid me of God,” our logical mind would see this as nonsense! It takes unitive consciousness to discover what Eckhart means. There is no concept of God that can contain God. Your present notion of God is never it. [1] As Augustine said, “If you comprehend it, it is not God.” We can only come to know God as we let go of our ideas about God, and as what is not God is stripped away.

Before transformation, you pray to God. After transformation you pray through God, as official Christian prayers always say: “Through Christ our Lord. Amen!” Before radical conversion, you pray to God as if God were over there, an object like all other objects. After conversion (con-vertere, to turn around or to turn with), you look out from God with eyes other than your own. As Meister Eckhart put it in one of his Sermons, “The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God’s eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” [2] All we humans are doing is allowing God to “complete the circuit” within us—until we both see from the same perspective. [3] This is the “mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:16), which will be experienced as a “spiritual revolution” in thinking (Ephesians 4:22).

https://cac.org/meister-eckhart-part-ii-2015-07-16/
I have read this...a few times and I still think it is nonsense.

He is praying to a concept to rid himself of the same concept he is praying to.

I totally understand the whole argument from a non dual perspective, which is why I cannot understand it when related within a dualistic framework.

Wouldn't it be better just to say "neti neti" and refute the existence of God to nullify all concepts and perceptions until God reveals itself as existing beyond them?

Maybe I am missing something.