View Single Post
Old 24-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperw1ngs
Elo, I've been a vegatarian for 15 years; I'll go back and forth between vegan and vegetarian. I feel amazing vegan though...wondering if there's anyone here who is vegan; how has it impacted your mental and physical health?

I just started working again on being a full time vegan.

Wondering also about healthy fats..I've noticed alot of vegan do the low fat thing which seems to make them appear gaunt and wrinkly as they age and I'm already on the slim side. I imagine it makes them a bit more crabby as well. Not enough fats makes me feel ungrounded... Outside of avocados and coconut oil/milk which I LOVE where do you personally get more fats?

Fats are in olive oil, (and other vegetable oils) nuts, avacodo - coconut oil is a saturated fat. Flax seed is rich in omega 3 and 6 - especially flax seed oil. Peanut butter and other nut and/or seed butters. Prepared foods like tahini/hummus are high fat.

Yes the human body needs fat as an essential nutrient, and one should consume somewhere between 50 - 80 g per day (as a rough figure dependent on body weight, activity levels and carbohydrate intake). A tablespoon of olive oil has about 15 - 18g. It is pure fat.

Fat is a high calorie nutrient. One tblspoon olive oil packs about 150 to 160 cals.

If removing animal products from the diet, you will need vitamin b12 as a supplement.