View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
Hindu saints in recent times like Swami Vivekananda too ate beef as well.
Didn't know that. Was it legal back then, did he eat it outside of India, or did he have buffalo?

Quote:
Ancient sects like the Shaivites, Vaishnavites, Shaktas, and the vedic religion mostly remain unchanged and they are what they were milleniums back.
In all fairness, I think that's a wild claim.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hinduism
Quote:
To Voltaire's viewpoint that it does not behove people of the west to dispute the contribution of Indian civilization to world culture and civilization.
Ancient civ's of Europe and India and China were relatively unconnected, for the most part. There was trade from Europe to Asia but Europe has not have any Indian culture coming our way. I don't really see how the Voltaire quote demonstrates the reverse.

Quote:
But I must say that the Vaishnavites never indulged in inquistions, crusades and Jihads and forcibly converted nonadherents to Vaishnavism.
No, but they use the same kind of arguments as colonial Christians. They interpret other religions and myths according to Hindu doctrine, just as Christians did according to Biblical doctrine. When the Christian thinks native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel, there will be Hindus imagining that everyone worshipped cows and Krishna, and were ''vedic''. Both religions try to demonstrate themselves as the origin of all civilization, with the true divine language and right view on the heavens.

Religions compete for dominance. It does not have to include swords and crusades.

Quote:
Through employing the faculty of reason and critical thinking, one can navigate ahead of false claims and adhere to the truth.
Yep. :-)