View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Nonduality means not-two-ality. Not-two means One without a second. In the realisation that reality is without a second it’s seen that whatever state/condition is arising - that is it.

Often when people are trying to grasp nonduality with the usual tools for grasping things - i.e. the (left hemispherical) analytical functioning of mind, they reason, ‘my cup has got an inside and outside’ or ‘hey, I’ve got two ears’ and conclude that nonduality can’t be the case. But these sort of objections are misguided. No credible speaker on nonduality rejects the apparent relative dualities, multiplicities, variations and contrasts (up-down, in-out, hot-cold etc.) of everyday experience.

This manifestation of ’everyday experience’ is the very stuff of Source. Things, forms, states, situations, feelings, thoughts etc. are not other than the radiant play of Source just the way they are. They don’t need to be banished or overcome - they don’t need to disappear or be corrected. You don’t need to enter a state of cessation, oblivion, nothingness, absorption or nirvikalpa samhadi for nonduality to be the case. Right now, just as things are - realised or not realised - nonduality is the case.

As Nagarjuna said, “nirvana is not other than samsara - rightly seen”.

Sounds good, but the issue of obstacles to overcome also arose in another thread on non-duality, where it seems the notions of oneness and perfection are like trump cards that rule out all else - but when we speak of the healing, the purification, the alignment, or whatever it can be referred to as - that is not excluded by ideals like oneness or perfection. The issue is complicated by notions that 'I have to do something' to get past obstacles, to heal, to purify myself, which is supported by reactions of aversion toward things that get stuck in the lifeform, along with the desire for that free flow of bliss throughout, and indeed it is the cessation of such reactive dynamics that best enable the purification to proceed.

In The Buddhist lexicon (that being what I'm most familiar with), 'seeing rightly' is called 'samma-samadhi', which is translated as right meditation, right concentration or right observation, depending on context.