View Single Post
Old 22-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Master
Thank you again for everyones honest replies and advice.

My son has learned way more in the last 12 or so days (I have the exact days on paper) then he has in all the years he's been in public school. He's very intelligent, he just doesn't learn in the traditional ways and the school systems are not built to teach children on this level. He is highly intelligent, very creative and as I always knew very good in math. He started reading at the age of 2, didn't comprehend it until he was older but he read well. When he lost all that he had learned as soon as he entered PreK at 4. He was different than most of the kids, he was smart, very open to learning and he could carry on a very intelligent conversation with adults. The other kids thought he was weird and he was contantly bullied. He became afraid of going to PreK. These were 4 & 5 year old mind you!! I remember loving what once was called, Nursery School, when I was 4. I also loved Kindergarten at 5. Times have changed and the school system here has been SO far behind for a long, long, long time and the kids of today are having to make up for what the system was lacking. They are expecting these kids to make up for all the years the school system was lacking.

Kids seem to go into school knowing everything. How to write their name at age 4, how to tie their own shoes, how to cut straight with scissors. We weren't allowed to use scissors until probably 1st or 2nd grade. It was the teachers job to teach the children how to print their names (in 1st grade).

Yes I went to Kindergarten in the 60's and things have changed too drastically. And what has hurt, especially my son, Is The No Child Left Behind law.

Thanks nightowl, I will take you up on that. I love hearing sucess stories. My son also has mild Tourettes that was more medication (Ritalin) induced than anything and his ticks are hardly visable since we took him off ALL medications 2 years ago. We stopped the Ritalin and "hard" stuff 5 years ago but it seemed to have messed him up a lot still. Biggest mistake we ever did was lettin the school dictate how to raise our child. He is highly sensitive to most medications and developed the ticks and seizuers after taking it.

Very happy to say he's been seizure free for over 2 years now and its awesome!! Though the meds did something to him that unfortunatly could be permanent. Not only did those meds turn him into an epileptic and have ticks, he became very hostile and suicidal at the age of 8 years old. The anti-seizure meds were making him both hostile and suicidal as well as very, very agressive. The agression and hostility never fully left him. He hasn't been suicidal in over 2 years (thank goodness) but his rages are increasing.

It isn't about karma. It is about love. Love is beyond karma. Karma can be very easily neutralized with Love.

I don't share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds that think differently.

I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they're not alone.

"Good bits of wisdom Elfay the future isn't carved in stone, it is a book waiting to be written." - Adrienne