View Single Post
Old 23-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
This. There is no hell in Hinduism but instead they have the Kali Yuga. Plus the principle of Karma teaches us that we are 100% responsible for our misery....which of course is difficult to prove.
Kali yuga is not in any way analogous to Hell, and we don't look at it that way. In fact, this is the first time I've heard of the comparison. It's an age of the world, the decline of righteousness and other virtues, but to this point we're not devoid of them. There's still a lot of good in the world done by, for and to others. We generally don't think we're suffering.

Karmic effects do not always cause misery, nor are they always of our own doing. Karma has ripple effects... collateral damage, you might say. I don't believe for a moment that if I get a sunburn, get hit by a hailstone, get a kidney stone, trip on a street curb and break my ankle that those are all karmic effects. There are also people who live very blessed, successful and happy lives.

Paraphrasing something Lord Rāma said to Lakshmana "If you're going to ask 'why did this misery or ill-fortune happen to me?' you must also ask yourself 'why did this good fortune or blessings come to me?'"