View Single Post
Old 30-03-2016, 04:40 AM
Experiencer
Peanut hummus

Peanut butter is very popular on bread. It's sweet, creamy and savory and very nutritious. Most peanut butters have transfats which are not so good for your health. They are used to keep the butter creamy and in shape. To avoid that you can use organic peanut butter. You will see the oil come floating on top of that because the transfats are not there to keep the butter in shape. So that is your proof of real good peanut butter.

As an alternative you can also make your own peanut butter. If you want to make it with only peanuts you need a very powerful food processor like a Vitamix or you have to let your regular foodprocessor run for about 15 minutes or so to get the same result. I am not so patient and I don't like to keep my machines running for so long. I suppose my tools won't live that long if I do that too often.
As a compromise I decided to add more ingredients to ease the process of grinding and mixing.

The fine thing about making your own peanut spread or hummus, whatever you want to call it, is that you can add your own flavors. When using beans you can use different kinds of beans. It's good for your general health to have variation of the ingredients.

I usually use Indian curry spices for extra flavor. There is a whole range of them: tandoori, vindaloo, curry madras and the list goes on. But you can also use other mixes like mexican, wasabi, chili, indonesian. Basically everything you can get your hands on and that looks good enough to end up in your peanut hummus. You will have to experiment how much you need to get the right taste. Well, worse things could happen to you...

Ingredients:
125 g dry beans or 280 grams cooked beans
250 g peanuts
6 tbs / 60 g arachid or olive oil
350-400 grams water
30 g spice mix
3 tbs / 30 soy sauce

How to:
Soak the dry beans overnight in the fridge, rinse them under running water and cook them for about 40 minutes. Kidney beans need about 60 minutes. Most other beans can do with 40 minutes.
You can use the water you used for cooking the beans in the hummus. It will give more flavor.
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix to a smooth paste.
You can divide the hummus in smaller portions and save them in the freezer for later use.
The hummus will stay good for about 3-4 days in the fridge.