View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Hi OEN34,

A decent read I recommend for beginners is a book called, "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das. Its a simple read with a lot of basics but unlike other intro books, this one has a little more heart I feel. The book has been well received by critics and book readers alike. Personally, I feel the study is not for at this time as my area of exploration is focused elsewhere in this period of my life. Hence, I agree with an earlier comment to just explore the basics with a simple intro source and see if it calls you in to study further..

Do you live near any Buddha temples? Sometimes it helps to aquatint yourself with a group or visit a temple and acquaint yourself with staff and feel the environment, maybe you'll feel a pull or calling from the environment to explore further. Here where I live in Florida they have a few Buddha temples and areas of worship It's always fascinating to see them

I found this thread to be useful and rich with resources. It was interesting to browse though it..

Good luck and happy surfing

Cloves

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

There's a small Buddhist centre in my town. A friend of mine has been before and said it is quite decent. They focus on a meditation and a topic that week, so it might be worth going along to that. All is welcome so it's not a hardcore Buddhist crew who go, apparently.

There is also a big centre around 45 miles from my town which offers everything from daily meditation to courses and retreats. I'll keep an eye on that place, too. This will offer more knowledge and insight compared to the small one in my town.

Thanks for the link, too! I'll have a read of that