View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
Hi,

Lately I'm more and more interested in looking into Buddhism. I'm not trying to run before I can walk and suggesting I'm going to convert, but I have a feeling internally to research it.

I'm a complete and utter newbie. I have always naturally meditated using a 'no mind' style if you will, observing thoughts, and I am a really keen practitioner of utilising this approach throughout the day no matter where I am - always remaining as present as possible and observing thoughts that come and go without clutching on to them.

I have read some of the works of Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ramana Maharashi and really enjoy and try to adapt their approach, to give you an idea of the way I function. This has all been done naturally without a purposeful aim towards Buddhism, but a real interest has a hold on me to investigate the faith in more detail.

Where do I start? Seriously? Is there a good book to read that covers the basic fundamentals?

Is it best to start by learning the basic terminology and their meanings, like Arhat, Bodhisattva, Dharma etc then move towards reading about the schools?

So many questions!

All advice and help appreciated, thank you

You seem to have a kind of natural higher consciousness - you're in touch with your 'Buddha nature'. It speaks loudly through your elegance and manner of communicating. I imagine you'll be very successful in spiritual endeavors, as you already have been with meditation. Integrity and self-honesty are an understated key to success imo. And extreme humility is necessary also.

Anyway, the following authors are excellent: Thich Nhat Hanh, Jack Kornfield, The Dalai Lama, Chogyam Trungpa, and Pema Chodron.

ALL of these individuals are (or at one point were) Buddhist monks or nuns, and each have written many books.