View Single Post
Old 16-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Poet
Yes, and the US had similar systems of oppression and cultural genocide. I've read the term "industrial schools" implemented as a tool of assimilation/oppression (ie, genocide) in the US.

Have you ever watched the video, "Rabbit Proof Fence"? It was a movie made about children in the residential schools in Australia. Our schools are showing it in High School Social Studies classes. Canada has a similar docu-drama, which shows the story of the mother of my nephew. Her name was Lyna Hart. It's called "We Were Children".

Sure. Rabbit Proof Fence is a brilliant film. I'll try to find the film We Were Children. Sounds good

Quote:
I'm so glad that more and more nations around the world are talking about this. It is yet one more holocaust in the books of human history - and educating ourselves about it is one way to ensure this atrocity is never committed again against innocent children and communities.

We can hope that in future there are no such atrocities and cultural diversity becomes a term associated with equality, but there are still deeply entrenched colonial views and social norms/policy that have a distinct flavour of imperialism and white supremacy, but in recent times, since the 70's, indigenous peoples have gained quite a powerful and reclaimed a legitimate self defined identity and status within broader society, so things are looking up, and change is a continual process.

Thanks for recommending that film. I hope I can find it online for free.