View Single Post
Old 22-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen

It has a single purpose to me - helping the very beginner to understand a process and once familiar, they ditch it.

I agree.

It's good for beginners as I started off with it as nobody knows what they're really doing when they start it (like most things), so it helps being assisted, but after months doing it I came to the realisation that my mind wasn't actually being settled, or I wasn't observing any of it's activity, I was being guided/coached, so it's doing the complete opposite of what I wanted it to do.

It just didn't feel right, or sit well with me, so I ditched it and started literally sitting there and began allowing my thoughts to come as much as they wanted, as often as they wanted, and simply observed them without any attachment whatsoever, and bingo, a few months of doing that and during the day and you notice the mind is much more peaceful.

It does have it's place, though. I'm not judging people using guided meditation either - each to their own - but IMO it served me to understand what meditation was all about.