View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
What happens when you reach the stage where there is no "I" existing as "That" or "Shivani" or "Gem" or anything else?

Of course, the one who types this, who self-refers and associates with ego which "I" call "Shivani" knows that it's just a puppet-like existence on this 3-D plane, the 'Self' or that which is not referenced as "Shivani" has experienced 'That/Brahman/God/Absolute/Source/Whatever 'name' fits', but "I" (as "Shivani" or otherwise) cannot say "I am That"...I can't even say "I have felt/experienced/become That" because there's no "I" after the fact...no distinction remains...no sense of 'self', differentiated, undifferentiated or otherwise remains...there's just...for lack of a better word 'Light'.

That's why I say "I am ME"...what else can be spoken? can one hand clap? can I show my womb-face? Of course, I can also be honest and say "I don't know who I am" and that would be the ultimate reply to the question, would it not?

It's not that I don't know, more like who I am cannot be known...and thus, for somebody to say "I am That" means they must have some kind of weird thinking another would know what 'That' actually is for reference, in much the same way they have referenced the Self with it...and I guess "I AM" just makes more sense without the predicate...or we can lose the "I" totally and there's just "AM/IS"...or we could just go "screw language" and have one hell of a transcendental experience and laugh at those who seem to take everything literally. lol

When I heard the title 'I Am That' ... it was such a perfect description of sudden realisation, I thought I should read some of it. There is a passage in the book that says:

M:
There are no steps to self-realisation. There is nothing gradual about it. It happens suddenlyand is irreversible. You rotate into a new dimension, seen from which the previous ones are mere abstractions. Just like on sunrise you see things as they are, so on self-realisation you see everything as it is. The world of illusions is left behind.
Q:
In the state of realisation do things change? They become colourful and full of meaning?
M:
The experience is quite right, but it is not the experience of reality (sadanubhav), but of harmony (satvanubhav) of the universe.
Q:
Nevertheless, there is progress.
M:
There can be progress only in the preparation (sadhana). realisation is sudden. The fruit ripens slowly, but falls suddenly and without return

Further on it says

Q:
Why should the unknown interest me? Of what use is the unknown?
M:
Of no use whatsoever. But it is worthwhile to know what keeps you within the narrow confines of the known. It is the full and correct knowledge of the known that takes you to the unknown. You cannot think of it in terms of uses and advantages; to be quite detached, beyond the reach of all self-concern, all selfish consideration, is an inescapable condition of liberation.

(Please do a wordsearch of the PDF for the broader context)