Thread: Hippie movies
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Knower
Location: I'm a homesick Californian from Lake Tahoe/Truckee, living in England.
Valley Uprising!

There's A LOT about hippies in that. It is actually a documentary film about the history of rock climbing in Yosemite National Park, but the hippies were integral to that. There is much about the battle between the anti-establishment climbers and the park rangers. There is a lengthy part on, "The Stonemasters" -- that generation of climbers which were the 'hippie athletes.' Beyond that, you see how the next generation, "The Stone Monkeys" have carried on their torch.

It's a beautifully inspiring and thrilling film about freedom, about wild and daring spirited folk and a love and respect for nature. There's much spirituality to it as well. It is like world-class climber, Lynn Hill, says at one point in the film (a "Stonemasters" alumni ) -- that climbing is a 'moving meditation.'

Also, the soundtrack is fabulous -- including songs like Jefferson Airplane's, "White Rabbit" and Bob Dylan's, "Meet Me in the Morning."

Even if you are not a rock climber (I'm not, but I am an avid hiker), it's still a wonderful film to watch. I know of several people who enjoyed it and who are not climbers. They've each learned -- and taken away something important -- from it too.