View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSun
Oh wow Ethiopia! :) I find it strange that some folks DON'T feel a connection to that place. Deep in my heart, I feel like that equatorial sun, as well as those great volcanoes where the Earth bleeds liquid fire, played a major role in the evolution of our species. We are the only animal known to wield the element of fire.

If it weren't for the ridiculous airport "security" these days, or the risk of being crippled in a plane crash, I would love to journey to the Great Rift Valley. I'd really love to travel the whole world by foot and boat. Start in Argentina, journey up north through the Amazon, Central America, and North America, sail from Alaska to Siberia....

Then I'd probably visit Japan if their laws weren't so strict. Wander through North Asia and Europe, probably avoiding the colder northern reaches, and then lingering in both the Middle East and the Great Rift Valley. I strongly prefer warm weather. After exploring the whole of Africa, I'd head back east and go through south Asia and onto Australia. NOT climbing Everest though. Then I'd sail across the Pacifc, back to South America, visiting islands along the way. Hopefully surviving the adventure and returning safely to the Ozarks.

But that's extremely unlikely haha. I have people to take care of here at home, a pilgrimage like that would take forever, and I'm to little and cute to survive it. The world isn't as nice as back in the old days. But I remember it though; lately I'll just be going about my daily routine, and I'll have a brief memory of being back in the desert. A LONG time ago.

Or maybe not too long. Humans have been around for dozens of thousands of years, and I only remember back to about 2500 BC or 5000 BC. Or at least they certainly feel like memories. Bronze Age, somewhere near the Dead Sea, and I think I was a male blacksmith who travelled a bit. I might've also dabbled in alchemy.

Airports!!! OMG...you wouldn't believe what it takes to get there!

Austin Texas to Atlanta GA (layover)
Atlanta GA to Dullas in NY (another layover)
Dullas to Dublin...as in Ireland (another long layover)
Dublin to Doha, Qatar (looong freaking layover with scary looking people hanging around checking out the American)
And 35 or so hours later....Qatar to Addis Abba Ethiopia

The equivalent of two monkeys and one eyed dog pulling a cart to find the truck stop in Addis Abba

6 hour drive in an old worn out Mercedes 3 ton open deck truck out into the Rift Valley.....Roads???? We don't need no stinkin roads! Up and down and around and over the rocks and gulleys....

2 and a half days later I was well "tenderized" when I got there and got off the truck!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!