View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM
eraser

Animal Totems (Revisited)

I see there was an older, now locked, thread on animal totems. I’d like to resurrect the topic.

About three years ago I came to believe that it’s possible to have a special, near-spiritual connection with certain animals. My own experiences led me to research the topic more thoroughly and I gained a better understanding of this connection through the book Animal Speak by Ted Andrews and the Medicine Cards of Jamie Sams and David Carson, as well as other sources.

This sense of kinship is difficult to describe. All I can say for certain is that it increases my respect for Nature (which was high to begin with) and cements my sense that we are all connected. It sounds a little loopy, but by coming to a better understanding of the animals I feel this kinship with, I have come to a better understanding of myself and my place in the natural scheme of things.

The Great Blue Heron is my primary totem. I also feel a special bond with chickadees, crows/ravens, trout, buffalo, moose and bears.

I’d like to know if anyone here feels similarly. Is there a certain animal you are drawn to – that perhaps you see more often than happenstance would indicate, or that you dream about often?