View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by res
To further elaborate on the dictionary meanings in my words i would ask:

Under what circumstances is it ok to "impart courage, inspiration, and resolution" to someone that is voicing that they are considering "the/an act of killing oneself deliberately" or living a life that would be more "likely to lead to an early death"?

I cant be any clearer or well defined than this. I'm not debating if suicide is acceptable under certain circumstances.

Well it does seem like we're splitting hairs on this subject But if a person is already voicing their thoughts about killing them self deliberately, wouldn't anyone else who was voicing their thoughts in favor of such behavior, be more or less collaborating with the idea, and not truly being the encouraging force behind discussing the act of self murder, since the person who made the favorable remarks was not the one who inspired the conversation in the first place?

col·lab·o·rate
1. To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
2. To cooperate treasonably, as with an enemy occupation force in one's country.
3. (often foll by on, with, etc.) to work with another or others on a joint project
4. to cooperate as a traitor, esp with an enemy occupying one's own country

Now I may be wrong about this, but something like standing at the bottom of a building, chanting, cheering and egging someone on to jump to their death, would seem more like encouragement. Where as talking favorably about suicide and giving suggestions as to how to go about it, after a suicidal person had brought the subject up, is more of a collaboration between those two or more persons who are in favor of such an act.

So in this new code of conduct we're trying to hash out, are we discouraging encouragement, or discouraging collaboration?