View Single Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:08 AM
spiritmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtOnFire
How do you deal with Evil in your life? Is there such a thing as Holy Anger and Enlightened Justice? Exactly how do you deal with people who are are bad/wicked/evil? And what is the ideal punishment for such actions deemed as bad or evil?

(I know Evil is a strong word. And you may not believe in it's existence. For the purpose of Philosophical Conversation I suggest you dismiss the label entirely and replace it with Bad or Wicked or etc.)

For this conversation, I'm going to say that "evil" is a person/energy that is overly and overtly negative. I'm going to break this down into three categories.

First, everyday interaction (office/family/friend).

While we can try to avoid having friends that are negative, sometimes we cannot avoid it with family, and we sure cannot avoid it at work. What I try to do with these situations is to understand the person.

I strongly believe that people/souls simply want to be understood. When they are not, they act out in frustration, so I try to place myself in their position to have an understanding of what they may be feeling and doing.

This usually helps me relate to them and what may be causing them to act out.

Second, casual interaction (out in public)

Again, I try to see myself with them and the need to be understood; however, we are at a disadvantage because we do not know what else is going on in this persons life. We may be the target of some aggression because they reached their limit after their son did something, or they may have suffered a break from reality - we don't know.

So, try to understand what they are doing and why based on observation and respect them as much as possible, plus I use my gut to guide me as well. This is what will tell me "we need to be careful here"

Third, physical aggression/danger

In the rare situation where I am in physical danger I remove myself from the situation (and those I care for). When physical harm is in the mix, there is no time for understanding as it is for self preservation.

After the danger has subsided then I will recap the situation to determine if there was something I missed or could have done differently.

In the end, I try to operate from a position of respect and understanding. That usually eliminates any major issues with evil or negativity for me.

As for punishment, that is a topic "above my pay-grade" as it were. ;-)

With Love,
Spirit Monk