View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky
The reality of it is that if it doesn't make sense and you can't apply it to yourself and you let it go, then you have to do so with the mindset that either you are not ready or you just don't understand.
If you take the mindset that I wouldn't want this even if it was so in such cases you might find it impossible to continue on this path.
Add to that all of the different understandings of what Buddhism is and one loses faith in trusting taking refuge when things come up that one cannot apply to ones life.
I'm just giving you a real life example.

I don't think it requires a mindset... it is just true that it makes no sense and has no meaning regarding my life. Some of it does; some of it doesn't; and some of it probably never will. I think people forget what is important, and they give too much importance to to text. It creates problems because the authority of text becomes internalised, and people start double checking themselves against 'what they know'. In this way they become within themselves both the disciplinarian and the disciplined, and practice a sort of obedience - a pretense of being a good Buddhist.