View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Experiencer
^ I agree with these fellas.

Tai Chi can be great for anybody, and can really help a lot of people who have a variety of mental disorders. I think the one thing you may want to make sure of when you do it is that you don't rush through it. Doing slow movements will help calm and center you, but doing it more quickly can get energy flowing pretty intensely and this might feel uncomfortable for you given your concerns. But in any case, energy flow will result, so you might have to gauge where your tolerance lies.

I work in an acute/short-term inpatient mental health facility, and though I've never heard of tai chi specifically being practiced there, there is a yoga group that occurs 3 times/week and many people with the same symptoms you mentioned have found it beneficial. And in my view, the essential result of allowing your energy to flow more easily – as well as calming the mind – is the same with yoga as it is in tai chi, just with a slightly different process of making that happen; They're both enormously useful (I'm not as familiar with qi gong as I am with yoga/tai chi, so I can't speak to that)

Really, though, just do what you're comfortable with. If you find that you can't get past your concerns with this enough to enjoy tai chi, then maybe try yoga or something else entirely (meditation, energy work, lucid dreaming, etc.). There are lots of paths!