View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrylie
Hello everyone, I am a writer doing some research for a book and had a few questions about the concepts of Reincarnation.

In the world we are building there is a new technology which makes everyone functionally immortal and this technology is thrust upon the American people as a whole.

My question is, how would this affect those of Hindu faith? Because there is a component of Reincarnation, would Hindu people be upset by the technology? What questions would this raise within the faith? How would an average Hindu person react to this technology and the idea that they would no longer be able to come into new bodies?

I don't think immortality is against reincarnation. As "reincarnation is the religious or philosophical concept that the soul or spirit, after biological death, begins a new life in a new body".

In Hinduism, Bhishma had the power to stay alive as long as he wanted. Brahmana Sudama's wife got the boon of always staying young. 5000 year old Ashwadhama is said to be still alive.

Many modern-day scientists have concluded that our universe will get dissolved and even the atoms will be ripped apart (due to the expansion of our universe); this is in agreement with Hindu belief of how the universe will end.