View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 AM
Master
God knows the answers.

Back to the Tesla Coils:
I have no photos of the three new Tesla coils. Actually, I cannot remember ever taking any photos.
These coils were destroyed by a house fire, so I only have my note book to provide any images for you to look at.
Two of the coils were small - something to play with on a workbench. One was a standard dipole, similar to the one shown in earlier posts.
The other was also a dipole that could be used as a vertical mono-pole (one end grounded), aka Oudin Coil. Its primary coil was made from flat copper plate, and taken from a design often called a Pancake Tesla Coil.
Both these coils were used for small scale experimentation.

The third coil was a large vertical mono-pole coil. The primary coil was an inverted cone helix.
This coil showed certain properties, of increasing its capacitive energy, until it starts to short-circuit itself by arcing from its terminal to the secondary coil. Many adaptions were tried to minimize such outcomes.
The problem with a short-circuit, once it occurs, is that the insulation no longer becomes an insulator. The point of electrical breach needs to be re-insulated (plus more).

Here are a few scanned pages from my 'mad-scientist note book'.

One night, I was up for hours trying to figure out certain design parameters. I needed a few numbers for a particular equation, but these numbers had to be first answered from two other equations with their own parameters. The variables where too great. In short, I was not getting anywhere except for a headache.
I got to a point of giving up. I looked up and said aloud, "God, give me a break. I do not know the answer, but I know that You and Tesla do!" Suddenly a number to six decimal points popped into my head. I quickly wrote it down.
By incorporating that number, I found my final answer. Also, by backtracking from answer to the start of my equations I found the needed parameters for my Tesla coil design.
Some may call that intuition, and maybe it is, but I prefer to call it 'instant spiritual intervention'.