View Single Post
Old 30-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harebrained Baboon
I've found that some music makes my mind kinda go blank, and it's supposed to that under meditation anyway, right
Blanking the mind is a useful step. It is however, a preparation step (and a useful side benefit), not actual meditation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harebrained Baboon
Is meditation stillness of thoughts only, or is it also a stillness of being, of emotions?[/b]
Complete stillness is best, of all internal commotion. In addition to thoughts and emotions there are ego, physical, psychological, doings, and spiritual commotions to name a few. This preparation process is also known as detachment. If all you did was still everything, you would basically just be dead.

The missing element of meditation you didn’t mention is being present. The ‘point’ is that all those commotions (inner turmoil) are not you nor even your self-expression. They are simply jangle that has accumulated around you. When you clear all that stuff, you can simply directly express your inner nature. This is the ‘real’ goal of meditation. It’s hard for beginners to understand that this expression is not a doing, trying, or accomplishment. It does take most meditation quite a while to experience this direct expression. When they do however, most of the questions and doubts about the meditation process disappear (other than please tell me how to do that again).