View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
When you see violence in the news, on TV, video games or in a movie how does it make you feel? I fear becoming desensitized to violence and that is something I can’t live with. I say, “Oh that’s so horrible” or I cringe, but I wonder if the abundance of it in my face makes me feel less horrified than I should be. I feel to live life and not fall completely apart I almost do have to not personalize what I see. But in accepting that it’s happening to others and not me personally or to someone close I feel almost evil. I should be horrified and yet I believe I am somewhat desensitized. Do we get to pick and choose whom we cry for? What is happening to the world we live in? Seems in bad taste to capitalize on violence; even reporters do it. I just want to feel the pain again and not throw what I see somewhere in the back of my mind without having to live in a bubble. I feel hypocritical as a spiritual being living in this state. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Blackraven

Blackraven--

This falls into the category for me of a kind of dual holding of two feelings at once.

I struggled for a long time with negativity, in myself, in seeing it in politics, news, movies--everywhere. I had to cut myself off from it for a long time.

There is the reality of seeing humans do horrible things to each other, to the earth. But there is a kind of trust that you hold in your heart that these things are all lessons for all who participate (including myself). You know that they have chosen these paths in order to learn. You know that, despite what we all are doing to the Earth, she will survive. And if she does not, there is another plan in place.

So, it's a kind of practice of holding two thoughts/two opposing ideas at one time: (1) The compassion for those in the middle of those experiences and (2) The absolute knowledge that it has a much higher purpose that we cannot fully understand.

It will make you less crazy when confronted with these things--and it happens all the time.

Blessings in your search.

Lora